The More Choices

the harder the decision. I am thankful there are only two choices regarding osseointegration surgery. I am also thankful I have some time to think about it.

The appointment with the orthopedic surgeon in New York went very well. He thinks I would be a great candidate for osseointegration (OI) and he sent me off to their west side office for a CT scan, because the implant has to be made for specifications particular to me. That will take two to three months.

Which is good. Because at the OI clinic today at Hopkins I was informed that my wound is healed enogh for me to move forward with a socket prosthesis. I will get a casting next week. Both the socket and a custom made gel liner will take several weeks to be made. I also discussed prosthetics with the prosthetist and am pretty sure which one I want-- a microprocessor knee with a number of settings, allowing me to walk on different terrains and up and down stairs more easily. It will work with a socket as well as OI.

It is entirely possible that a socket prosthetic with a gel liner will work well for me, though I doubt it. But I will give it time and then I can make a decision about OI.

The team at Hopkins discussed their approach-- the two step OI and why they thought it is better. It has given me more to think about, and I may reach out to some orthopedic surgeon friends to get them to weigh in.

But at least I have as much time as I need to decide.

And I got a great trip to New York. We stayed at the Helmsley Medical Tower, two blocks from my appointment at HSS. The room had a kitchenette so we could toast bagels and I could make aeropress coffee. What it did not have was an accessible bathroom. All of their accessible rooms were booked. Considering the hotel is associated with hospitals, I would have hoped it would have had more accessible rooms. But we made do and worked it out by bringing our own commode. Seriously. Thank goodness the garage is attached to the hotel. For just a couple of days my disability created a lot of baggage.

It was so fun having a couple of days in New York pre-appointment. It was our first "vacation" with me in a wheelchair. And it worked out okay. All the Ubers and cabs we took had room in the trunk for my chair. And I wheeled myself around the Met and Jerry wheeled me around the city. We both got stronger.

We had lunch with our friend Laura at what she called a real New York diner. Laura and I got tuna melts and it had been years since I had had one. It was yummy. The three of us sat and talked for a couple of hours. So much fun.

That evening we had dinner with Lauren and Svetilo. Lauren made delicious salmon and we drank wine and talked. We are plotting a trip to Naples to eat pizza. Who wants to go with us?

Monday evening, after a day at the Met we got dressed up to go out to dinner at a restaurant I had been so anxious to go to. Contento has not only gotten rave reviews for its food, but it is known for its accessibility. I let them know I would be coming in a wheelchair, so they sat us at the part of the bar that is lower, especially for people in wheelchairs. I initially balked because I transfer easily to chairs, but it turned out to be the perfect seating for Jerry and me to hear each other, share our food, and chat with neighboring diners. The chef came out to answer our questions, and he was delightful. He helped us pick out a delicious, earthy Georgian wine, and we ordered a couple of small plates and one large. Everything was delicious, and I'd go back and sit at the bar again.

Today I am looking over websites describing microprocessor knees, and later I will reach out to some orthopods to see if they can offer any advice.

No doubt I am confused. But I am pretty darned happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hit and a Miss

Crying in Costco

All’s Well