A Blessing in Disguise

While it was happening I am sure I wouldn't have called it that, but now that my foot drop is a thing of the past, in its own way it was. Those couple of weeks let me really concentrate on my gait, rather than thinking about my balance. Using the walker, I thought about standing tall, keeping my shoulders back,and taking even steps with both feet. And my physical therapist encouraged me to do a lot of walking.

It all paid off. This week at PT Meghan checked the angle of my foot, and it was back to normal. So it was back to walking with a cane and the results of my walking practice were noticable.

<

I have my massage therapist to thank as well, because she worked on the fascia that surrounds the affected nerve. That work had my foot flex back to normal faster than I thought it would.

Those couple of weeks with foot drop taught me some important lessons. It has resulted in me being more mindful in not just my walking, but in how I am living my life. Everything we do takes thought, but I know I forget that as I try to race to the finish line.

And I am also very aware of what I am likely to accomplish. I will eventually walk well with a cane, but I might not walk without it. I also realize it is doubtful I will return to walking dogs at the shelter. I can still get my dog fix by working with them in playgroup, but I am not so sure I will have the strength and agility to take them out on trails.

I spent most of my life dancing, but I am well aware that I likely will not dance again, and I am more than okay with that. Folk dancing, for me, is more of a social activity so I can still go to events, see friends, and have a good time.

The one thing I will miss is hot tubs. When Jerry and I have traveled we would seek out a spa, soak in a tub and get a massage. Because of my osseointegration surgery hot tubs and public pools are verboten. Pools are not a big deal for me, but I will miss a good soak.

I have been given the okay to practice with the cane at home. And just as with the walker, the more I do the better I will get. And I know I will get better at it. All in good time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hit and a Miss

Crying in Costco

All’s Well