Life, Death, and Laser Beams

These last couple of weeks have had some serious highs and lows. A few days ago, quite unexpectedly, my friend Patty died in her sleep. She is someone I've known since college. After dinner, we'd go back to her room, get stoned, and watch the Patty Duke show. I'm sorry to say I introduced her to her first husband, but her second husband, Bob, is the kind of man she deserved. Smart, funny, talented. And while I do not really know her son, her daughter is a remarkable young woman, and she misses her mother desperately. They were best friends.

A couple of weeks ago our geriatric cat, SuSu, passed away. She had been sick, but with medication she rallied and returned to her feisty self, so it was a shock to find her lifeless body in the morning. I hope she died in her sleep, because she was all alone. I know we gave her several very good years, but I wasn't ready for her to leave us.

My journey with Leggy Mountbatten continues to progress. We were at a crowded event last night, so I mostly kept hold of Jerry's hand, but my step count yesterday was perhaps a new record. In physical therapy I am working on balance, and I continue to gain confidence.

This past Monday, I had my third laser treatment on the scars on my chest and arm, in hopes of reducing the pain. The procedure is done under general anesthesia, and it disrupts my sleep for several days, so I am hoping this third session will be my last.

As I get better and stronger, I forget sometimes how badly I wrecked my body, but I'm still here. There are times when I look at my disfigured leg and my multitude of scars and I get disgusted. I need to flip that and learn to look at them as symbols of perserverance. But it's damn hard. As a lifelong overachiever, and as someone who grew up being told that I was never good enough, I feel responsible for what happened to me. And in reality I am. But that doesn't mean I need to continue to beat myself up about it.

My friends continue to tell me how well I am doing, and I am working on internalizing that praise and making it feel real. My physical self has come a long way; it may be time for my mental self, and in turn, my confidence, to do the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hit and a Miss

Crying in Costco

All’s Well