A Quick Update

Today I had my bladder surgery. I was my surgeon's first patient of the day, which meant getting to the hospital at 6 am, but it also meant I'd get out early, which was good.

But, as usual, everything took longer than imagined, and it was not without its little twists and turns.

Seems the staff assigned to me had never had a patient with a removable leg. Patients normally walk to the OR. One staffer seemed a little flummoxed, but another got a transport wheelchair and off I went. All were impressed at how easily I climbed on to the operating table.

The surgery went well, but I admit I was in more pain than I had imagined, particularly because I was not prepared to get a dose of chemotherapy after the surgery. It was infused directly into my bladder, and then I had to wait an hour. That's when the drugs came in.

After oxycodone, fentanyl and zofran, I was in far less pain, but pretty loopy. Despite that, I do remember what the surgeon said.

Which was-- until the pathology report comes through, which could take a week, he's really not sure if it had invaded the bladder wall. If it hasn't, that chemo I received will be one and done, and he seemed fairly confident it had not.

At this point I am going to live my life as if I'm done. And if I'm not, I will deal with it later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crying in Costco

Cha Cha Cha

All Fall Down. Again